You’d like to go on a road trip with a converted van from Le Baroudeur, but you don’t know which model to choose? Here we explain the differences between the minivan and the Ready-to-Camp SUV.
Did you know? In Canadian (Quebecois) French, “minivan” is a feminine word, but in France it’s masculine. So sometimes it creates funny misunderstandings 🤷
What’s a minivan?
A minivan is a 7-seater vehicle, often identified as a family vehicle. Although it’s not primarily designed for camping, we chose it because of its large cargo space, which makes it easy to fit out, and the possibility of retaining seating with the built-in seats. Unlike motorhomes (also known as RVs), minivans offer a very comfortable layout without costing an arm and a leg! It’s also much smaller than a motorhome, and very easy to drive. That’s why it’s our favorite camping vehicle at Le Baroudeur.
Minivan vs. Ready-to-Camp SUV : what to choose?
You may have noticed that we offer 2 types of vehicle for rent : the converted minivan and the Ready-to-Camp SUV. Although they’re both fitted out by us, they offer a completely different experience, but just as much fun🙂 So which one should you choose? Here are the questions to ask yourself.
- How many people will be on the trip? 2 or less = minivan or SUV, 2 to 4 = minivan
- Is it important for me to sleep IN the vehicle (you’ll understand this funny question😜 later)? Yes = minivan / No matter = minivan or SUV
- Do I want to sleep at campgrounds? es = minivan or SUV / No = minivan (without roof tent😉)
It’s important to know that when you book a Ready-to-Camp SUV, you’ll be getting a vehicle that offers roof-tent sleeping only. So if you want to be able to sleep inside the car, it’s better to choose a minivan😉 However, the SUV offers a sportier drive with its 4-wheel drive, plus it’s easier to park given its small size. It’s the perfect vehicle for outdoor trippers who like to move fast!
Another important point to consider when choosing your vehicle is where you want to stop to sleep at night! n fact, there are certain rules to follow when traveling in boondocking mode (we explain them here), and the first is to stay in stealth mode. If you’re traveling with a roof-tent-equipped SUV, or a roof-tent-equipped minivan, you’ll be far from incognito at bedtime! So think carefully before choosing your vehicle.
Dodge, Chrysler, hybrid: what are the differences?
Now that you have chosen your type of vehicle and it is, for example, the minivan, how do you choose between the different models? It’s very simple: if you are traveling with more than 2 people and/or if you want to try the “roof tent” experience, opt for the 4-person minivan, Dodge Grand Caravan model. Robust and proven over time, we love how easy it is to drive and use. Okay, you may not have the latest top-notch accessories, but we guarantee you the most comfortable ride and peace of mind for your trip.
If you travel alone or with others, you are spoiled for choice! n addition to the Dodge Grand Caravan, you can also opt for one of the 2-person minivans with recent Chrysler Grand Caravan models, or even a fuel-efficient car like the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (a smart choice when calculating your fuel consumption budget for the trip😉).
One thing is certain, no matter which model of car you choose, know that they are all fitted out and equipped in the same way. The only difference: the additionnal tent on the roof of the vans for 1 to 4 people!
3 questions we get asked all the time about vans
We always like to answer your questions, so here are the ones that come up most often when reserving your vehicle.
- We are 5 people, which vehicle can I choose? Unfortunately, our vehicles can accommodate a maximum of 4 people seated with seat belts, and for sleeping.
- We are 2 adults with a child under 3 years old. Should we take a van for 4 people ? Absolutely not! The vast majority of our minivans are equipped with 4 seats with seat belts, which means that your little human can sit comfortably in the back during the trip. For bed, all that remains is to decide whether you share the double bed with him or whether you take the “Baby bed” option. Of course, it is always possible to take a van with a roof tent, but we do not recommend children under 5 years old to sleep there alone😉. The Ready-to-Camp SUV is unfortunately not suitable for accommodating more than 2 people, either to sleep or to sit safely.
- What is the difference between this 2-person van and this other 2-person van? None! All our vans are fitted out in the same way🙂
Now that our different models of converted vehicles no longer hold any secrets for you, go quickly to our website to make your reservation! And if you still have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us, we’re here to answer them🙂