One of the greatest things about a road trip is to be able to sleep where we want and when we want! The art of boon docking, as we say it here in Quebec, is the specialty of every great Vanpackers. But can we do it everywhere in the province ? Is there legal restrictions ? We are sharing you some van packer tips to be able to sleep well.
The best spots to sleep peacefully during a road trip
In the following places, you’ll be able to park and rest without any issues :
- The Village-Relais parkings: Click here to see the parking list where you are authorized to sleep in different villages in the province. There’s big chance that you’ll find some on your itinerary !
- On local producers land’s: Due to our partnership with Terego, you can park your van on the land of a local producer to sleep and to meet them ! Don’t hesitate to visit their websites and to contact us if you are one of our van packers!
- Wal-Mart parkings: open 24/7, most of Wal-Mart accept van packers for a night without any problems. There are some exception in the province of Quebec, if ever you’re not sure, directly ask the permission before you park for the night!
- Tourism offices, church or governmental buildings : they have parkings, but take the time to ask locals before you park!
- Casinos: They usually accept boon dockers.
In every case, you must respect the tranquility and clean the place to leave it cleaner than when you arrived. Don’t hesitate to ask the people you meet their favourite unknown place nearby. Most of them will be happy to help you and they may make you discover some unique places. Promise from Gab!
We highly recommend you to apply the No Trace travel rules or to read and apply The responsible traveller’s charter in motorhomes, campervans and campers written by Park4nigth Keep these commandments in your head during all your road trips and you’ll be a fantastic Van packer!
… but also
If you can’t find a good place, these apps should help you a bit! Be warned: You shouldn’t plan your road trip stops 15 days in advance with these apps! As we often say, they are usually used as plan B, C, or even D. Our tips: look at the last updates from the other users. It will help you to know if the night spot is still accessible… or not!
This application lists a lot of sites and is updated by the community. It is a MUST in your cellphone if you’re going on a road trip, and not only in Quebec!
This app will facilitate your life and will help you to find your next overnight parking in a few clicks. They also have a website.
You just have to give your location to the website and it will show you the free campgrounds nearby !
A nice and easy-to-use tools for a minivan travel, this app is free and only works in. North America. You can’t use it offline, though!
This new player in the minivan travel community in the province of Quebec. A nice initiative that started in 2021 to respond to the huge demand of minivan and RV travellers through the province. You MUST be completely independent to use the proposed sites. There is no mobile app, but you can visit their website or their Facebook page to learn more about it
In the end, what’s better than asking the road tripper community? The group Mon road-trip au Canada: Conseils et Bons Plansis a group of travellers in Canada, but there is a lot more: En VR pour pas cher, Québec Vanningt etc. These are some beautiful-used-to-it community, but please! If someone gives you a place where to sleep, make sure you’re being respectful of that place. If you don’t, you might be the last one sleeping there and this wouldn’t be nice…
What about you? Share your tips with us and help the new Van packers to live a nice adventure.
Last thing! You want to know all the essential apps to travel in the province of Quebec? It’s all here!